Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Muse


“Inspiration is the windfall from hard work and focus. Muses are too unreliable to keep on the payroll.” ― Helen Hanson

If you’re going to succeed you’ll want a muse, something or someone that evokes your very best work and inspires you. In my experience though, your muse won’t always work, and when it doesn’t then you may need a touch of madness.


This morning I reluctantly rolled out of bed and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I spared a glare phone my phone angrily blinking 5:30 AM before stumbling downstairs to greet my first love, breakfast. I had Cinnamon Jacks in case you were wondering.

I took my time, because at 5:30 there is no way I’m rushing anything. My thoughts this early are fairly random, and I’m not really certain what I was thinking about, but I really drifted off. I was gone to the point that my bowl was empty for about 5 minutes.

A shuffling behind me drew me from my daze and I glanced back. I was somewhat shocked to see my grandmother sitting on the couch staring at me with a confused look.

19 Things That Happen On First Dates That Are Awkward As Hell

My first thought was: “Dear God, was I talking to myself again?” Followed shortly by. “When did she get there? Do I need to do damage control? Screw it. I’m just going to eat another bowl of cereal.”

I’ve never fully relied on muses for inspiration. I find them fickle at best and never seem to be there when I need them. Whenever they elude me, which is often, I just talk to myself instead.

Mostly it goes like this:


Wait a minute…only crazy people have conversations with themselves. Have I gone mad? I certainly hope so, because I have no intention of placing full reliance with my muse. Nonsense aside, talking to myself fixes the problem 7 times out of 10. A fairly decent success rate all things being considered.

“The loveliest Muse in the world does not feed her owner; these girls make fine mistresses but terrible wives”
Alfred de Vigny, Stello

I’d relate a muse to the economic principle of diminishing returns. Take a snickers bar for instance. You’ll love the first one, but if you eat a second one shortly after you’ll enjoy it a little less than the first. By the time you reach your 5th candy bar you’re sick of the delicious treat and never want to see it again (Until tomorrow).

Muses are similar; at least for me anyway, if I rely solely on my muse then after a time I find whatever it was that held the magic of inspiration before is gone. Vanished. Dandelion seeds drifting in the wind. I can see it but I can’t for the life of me grasp it.

You can have the most magical muse in the world, but if you don’t have your basics down (Dedication and hard work) you’re not going to get anywhere. Your muse may have the sizzle, but it’s the steak that everyone’s after.

No comments:

Post a Comment